Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas down east

Last Thursday I arrived at PVD's TF Greene airport. Little dude gathered me at the airport immediately whisking me away to the ppm where we shopped until 10pm, accomplishing many of our consumer goals but not enough of them to keep us from doing it all over again the following day. The bonus of which was hitting up my old time favorite Bob and Timmy's grilled pizza on Federal Hill where the 4 cheese pizza reigns supreme over all past pizza experiences. This thing is loaded with red onions, pink vodka sauce, mozzarella, parsley and tasty pockets of Gorgonzola all on the flattest, softest grilled bread your tongue will ever know. And at their new location off Atwells, they even throw in the largest pint of heff I have had delivered to me without asking for it. LD was thrilled at the prospect of shopping with me after I downed one of those bad boys. I think I had to give her my MC for safe-keeping.

Since then we have spent our days waking at 11am, heading to the compound gym for family treadmill hour, returning to shower and eat a hearty breakfast, lounge around wrapping gifts, walking and then heading off to our evening meal. Isn't this what vacations are about? Between meals I have also been able to catch up on my popular press (well at least more popular than the stuff I read when I am at work anyway) including nat'l geographic's reports on declining tuna fisheries and the recent musings of he NYT on "Clintonism" and why Obama will never be elected. These activities have effectivly prevented me from doing any actual work, which is ever looming in the back of my mind like a dark presence, reminding me (usually at 4am) that I am at the tail end of my 6 year degree with very few professional aspirations to speak of at cocktail parties. I digress....

On par with previous visits to Tiverton, LD and I prepared one of the family feasts. These dishes seem to get more and more complicated as the years go on (save for the year when JEB actually deglazed a pan). This year was Osso Bucco alla Milanese with cheesy fennel potatoes and snap peas finished off with a pear raspberry cobbler (the 3 latter of which were made by LD which was quite a juggle since we literally cooked all items simultaneously). Osso bucco was a first for me. Translated as 'bone hole' presumably because after the braising process the marrow has melted out of the hole in the leg bone, leaving it hollow. It was my first time using a bouquet garni and gremolata too.

LD battled it out with a huge block of gruyere (tasty cheese chunks were strewn about for hours) for the potatoes and learned how to blanch pears for dessert .


Meanwhile we were attempting to decorate the tree amidst dad's pacing and chanting of Martha Stewart-sponsored xmas tunes. This process all went much faster once the nog was made. Joan's nog has been passed down in her family and is a little piece of rum and frothy heaven.



Did I have to warn you all that this blog would be food-heavy? Jeez, it is the holidays after all! Luckily there is a scenic new england walk into Tiverton from the house, even if LD referred to such activities as "family enforced" I think even she enjoyed the route.





This morning, christmas eve, we woke up to a sunny snow-less day. At noon I am still in my pajamas. I know I need to shower and then hit the mall one last time to finish my christmas list so that no one goes for want, however reports from Joanie who just returned from the market, promise an absolute mob scene. It would be much nicer to just sit here gazing out the window and at the wrapped boxes under the tree, attempting my essay for the various grant applications I need to get out.....actually, Macy's doesn't sound so bad.

No comments: